Friday, February 11, 2011

No good deed goes...

A few years ago I wrote a short story that Tony Burton of Wolfgang Press used as a fund raiser for "Toys For Tots".
I included two of the characters that appear in my "Bay Harbour" mystery series. Some kind hearted soul from one of the western states decided I must be a wealthy author type and proceeded with a legal action against me for depicting him as a thief since he shared the nickname of one of my characters.
I was sure he thought I would settle and just send him a tidy check. Just goes to show you how wrong he could be. I admit it may have cost more than the settlement would have been negotiated to, but once in a while even I grab hold of a principle.
Time consuming, yes, expensive ,yes, but was it worth it, yes. Sleep well tonight Bay Harbour, Gibby, your name is safe with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment